Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Thin White Dude's Movie Of The Month: July 2013 - The Act Of Killing



Mesmerising, bizarre, surreal, entertaining, and one of the few legitimately unique film experiences of the past few years, Joshua Oppenheimer's masterpiece is a truly extraordinary work. If anything, my estimations of the film have probably risen since I first saw it, and I plan to take my promoting of the film above and beyond the medium of film criticism, more of which will be revealed in due time. My own perspective is a mere glance of the surface on it's richly textured weave, and I urge everyone to see this most important of films.

The Thin White Dude's Prognosis - 9.5/10


Runner-Up: Pacific Rim - A majestic work of terrific imagination, Guillermo del Toro dares to dream, and gives what will most likely be the best big-budget blockbuster release of the summer.

Honorable Mention: Maniac - An existentialist exploration of the human psyche that also happens to be a horror movie remake shot completely from the murderer's POV, with a transcendent lead performance by Elijah Wood.

'Second-Most Deadly Disease': The Internship - You may be able to tell from the grammar I mean that ironically, because even though it is stupid and about eight years too late, I still thought The Internship was a strangely funny comedy.

Avoid Like The Plague: Man Of Steel - I don't know how they did it (I do, but for the sake of argument...), but Zack Snyder and co. actually managed to make Superman cumbersome and boring.



No comments: