Thursday 11 July 2013

The Thin White Dude's Movie Of The Month: Sabbatical/May-June 2013 - Evil Dead



Like a lot of horror movie fans, I walk into any horror remake with an element of trepidation, especially given my past experiences with cinematic butchery of classic films (I'm looking at you, Platinum Dunes!). Aside from the central premise, it goes completely in it's own direction, with Fede Alvarez making a masterful debut feature and the character of Mia (played to excellence in a star-making turn by Jane Levy) has a great degree of complexity. One of the best horror movies in recent memory and a right good rollick! Groovy!

The Thin White Dude's Prognosis - 8.4/10


Runner-Up: Good Vibrations - Flawed, but more good going for it than bad. Great lead performances by Richard Dormer and Jodie Whittaker, 1970s Belfast being lit like a moody noir by Ivan McCullough and featuring a terrific soundtrack. 

Honorable Mention: Beware Of Mr Baker - Not the best of documentary biographies, but a fascinating insight into the fascinating character of Ginger Baker

Anomaly: The Great Gatsby - I had to eschew my traditional reviewing format to get my point across with this movie, so, despite my relatively negative conclusions, I'm going to have to watch it again on the basis that it did present a genuine challenge as far as analysis is concerned.

Second-Most Deadly Disease: The Hangover Part III - The thing is is that the first two Hangover movies provoked a reaction: negative, yes, but a reaction nevertheless! Here, I was bored to tears!

Avoid Like The Plague: After Earth - At first, even though I knew it was bad, I thought my primary response was one of indifference. I realised that was my brain blocking out my true emotions, as reviewing it induced mild nausea in recollection of how truly terrible it was. 

No comments: